Friday, April 11, 2014

The job!

Ladies and gentlemen, I have an announcement.

Employed!

This afternoon, shortly after completing interviews with the executive director and members of the board of a nonprofit, I was extended a job offer, which I gladly accepted.  They made it clear that they had many candidates to choose from and they thought I was the best fit; the job posting had a salary range "dependent on experience" and though because this is a career switch for me they could have put me at the bottom of that range.....they offered me the top of the range.

This is an organization that does work that I believe in deeply.  They are rock solid: they are held up as a model for other organizations to follow, and they have great leadership.  They deeply impact the lives of people in their community.

"Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life" the expression says.  Well, I believe that I've chosen a job that won't feel like work, even when it is, and I couldn't be happier about that.


***

My last job got me on my feet after stay-at-home-mom-cancer-patient-gets-divorced.  It was great for where I was; it reminded me that I still had relevant skills, that I could implement positive change in an organization, and that it was indeed possible for me to juggle motherhood and employment.  It was a gentle transition in that the job wasn't terribly challenging and had a good deal of flexibility.

But this job, this one is a career, and this speaks to who I am as a person.  I can look you in the eye and tell you what I do and who I do it for, and I feel proud of that.

I can not begin to express how happy this makes me.

This is me, earning my life back.  This is me, creating the life I want for myself and my daughter. 

This is me....happy.

***

I start in a week.  It's Katherine's spring break and we're headed to our favorite island hideaway, to a friend's cabin near the water, and we can't wait.

I have a lot to think about over the next week...but I do it with a glow in my heart.

Happy.

***

Thank you to all of you out there in internet land who sent me notes of encouragement throughout this grueling process.  It helped, and your support has buoyed me on the rough days.  You are appreciated.

Now - back to the business of living, instead of trying to resolve the unemployment dilemma 24x7! 

No comments:

Post a Comment