Saturday, May 17, 2014

24 Hours in a Day, 365 Days in a Year

I am determined to figure this out.

Determined, even though I know my odds of success are practically nil.

"This" is time management.  I want to get all of the important stuff done, live my best life, balance work and play, responsibility and relaxation.  I want to be a great mom, a great employee, a great friend, daughter, athlete.  I want to write, to spend time on my porch swing, time chatting with friends and time alone, time in nature, time in museums.  And I'd like a beautiful relationship in there, too.

It sounds impossible, yet I keep trying.

It occurs to me that we all have exactly the same amount of time each day, and yet some use it more wisely than others.  Why is it that some people seem to do nothing and complain about how busy they are, and others are whirling dervishes that never seem to sit down?  Why is it that some people seem to lead interesting lives, connected to community and their own interests, while others seem to barely function, even with the same financial resources?

We all get the same number of hours each day, the same number of days in a year.  With that in mind, I'm watching those around me who seem to live those days very well, and those who seem to slog away at life, grinding through it all.

This weekend I don't have Katherine, and I'm trying to figure out how to balance all of my goals.  I worked like a maniac this week and I have a very busy week next week at work, so I'm setting work aside on the weekend.  My house needed some serious attention, so I've prioritized that, and I'm trying to visit with friends, get out in nature, etc.

Today I didn't stop - it was a whir of activity.  I didn't come anywhere near catching up, but I did make progress: grocery shopping, meal planning, laundry, changed sheets, exercise, watching Katherine win at gymnastics (yay!), mowing the entire yard (parking strip and all), doing some additional gardening, running errands, and having dinner with a friend.  It is 10:55 and I feel like I'm just sitting down for the first time....

And yet it feels good.  Tomorrow I plan to hike - my favorite relaxation - in the morning, and curl up on the sofa with a book in the afternoon.  Katherine and I will finish up the laundry Sunday night style in front of the TV.  Some chores will remain undone, some goals will be unmet.

But I'm cramming in as much as I can into this life of mine, trying to figure it out.  I'm trying to be responsible - mowing the lawn and all - but not stuck in a rut.  Tricky balancing, I haven't figured it out.  The floors in my house are a mess, needing vacuuming, mopping, sweeping...my vegetable garden is more of a dream than a reality.

But I'm feeling pretty good about the direction I'm headed, even if I haven't arrived at my destination.

Because I am determined to make this work.

No comments:

Post a Comment